Drug and recreational substances addiction treatments in Cardiff, Newport, Bridgend, South Wales and London.
For many people the use of recreational or prescription drugs never causes any negative experiences, but later in life they find unfortunately the impact on their health has been severe . For many others, substance use can cause problems at work, home, school, and in relationships, leaving you feeling isolated, helpless, or ashamed.
The reason people use drugs is complicated and often individuals first try drugs out of curiosity or simply because they are looking to have a good time. Sometimes people try drugs because of peer pressure or in an effort to improve athletic performance or alleviate issues such as fears, stress, anxiety, or depression. Using drugs or recreational substances does not always lead to addiction and the problem varies widely between individuals. Drug abuse and addiction is less about the amount of substance consumed or the frequency, and more to do with the consequences of drug use.
If drugs or recreational substances are causing problems in your life you then the chances are you have a drug abuse or addiction problem.
Common signs and symptoms of drug abuse:
- You neglect your responsibilities at school, work, or home
- You use drugs under dangerous conditions – driving while on drugs, using dirty needles, or having unprotected sex.
- Your drug use is getting you into trouble with the police
- Your drug use is causing problems in your relationships
Common signs and symptoms of drug addiction
- You now have a drug tolerance having to use more drugs to experience the same effects.
- You take drugs to avoid or relieve withdrawal symptoms.
- You have lost control over your drug use.
- You’ no longer undertake hobbies, sports or other activities you once enjoyed.
- Drugs are causing major problems to your health and well being and may include blackouts, infections, mood swings, depression and paranoia.
Increasingly we are also seeing more and more people addicted to over the counter medicnes and painkillers many of which have addictive contents such as codeine. The addiction to these over the counter drugs can cause considerable physical and mental harm over a period of time and often require treatment to stop the addiction.
If you or someone you care for has a drug problem then take immediate action and contact a qualified professional for help. Contact our Cardiff or Central London clinic today.